|Sperry Drilling services' Evader® MWD gyro service was developed to fill a critical industry need: to provide faster, safer, more accurate drilling from offshore multi-well platforms. In the past, a wireline gyro was used to take a gyro shot to orient the pipe and survey the well. This activity can be time-consuming, as well as pose a health, safety and environments (HSE) risk. In between shots, the tool was steered without real-time orientation, increasing the possibility that the motor toolface could change direction and drill into a nearby well.
- Eliminates the need to use wireline gyros to orient or steer the drilling assemblies, which saves considerable rig time and provides for safer operations
- Rate gyro accuracy assures precise wellbore guidance for collision avoidance and precise trajectory placement
- Unaffected by magnetic interference, the sensors can run closer to the bit in the MWD string by eliminating the need for non-magnetic spacing collars for the gyro sensor
- The tool's modular design allows it to be placed anywhere in the drill collar
- The tool may be run with either positive pulse or negative pulse telemetry systems
- The service utilizes the InSite® rig information system and complements Sperry's suite of LWD tools