WELLCAT™ Casing and Tubing Design Analysis Software
We are pleased to announce the launch of our new Landmark website. You will be redirected to the new location shortly.
Integrated temperature, casing and tubing design software essential for HP/HT deepwater drilling and production environments.
When working in high pressure, high temperature (HP/HT) environments risks are greater as is the potential for complications in well engineering and design. The potential dangers to people, property and the environment can be very high so it is critical for casing and tubular design to be able to withstand the potential stresses. Understanding thermal expansion of annular fluids can help engineers design casing that can manage thermally induced wellhead movement, eliminate buckling, and reduce casing collapse of inner strings or casing bursts of outer strings during production operations. WELLCAT™ software technology was designed to address these risks and help engineers design safer, higher-quality designs for complex HP/HT wells.
Click images to enlarge to full screen
Comprehensive solution for simple to complex wells
Landmark’s WELLCAT™ software provides precise solutions for both wellbore analysis and integrated casing and tubing design. The software calculates accurate downhole temperature and pressure profiles which can be used for pipe-body movement and casing and tubing load analysis. WELLCAT software is an essential tool for companies operating in high-pressure, high-temperature (HP/HT) deepwater or heavy-oil drilling and production environments. Five modules are integrated into a common environment to provide more accurate and reliable solutions to complex design problems.
- Drill Design Module - Simulates flow and heat transfer during drilling operations, providing full transient analysis.
- Casing Design Module - Analyzes casing loads, design integrity, and buckling behavior under complex mechanical, fluid pressure, and thermal-loading conditions with standard and automatic load-case generation.
- Prod Design Module – Simulates fluid and heat transfer during completion, production, stimulation, testing, and well-servicing operations.
- Tube Design Module – Analyzes tubing loads and movements, buckling behavior, and design integrity under complex mechanical, fluid-pressure, and thermal-loading conditions with standard and automatic load-case generation.
- Multi-string Design Module – Predicts pressure and volume changes due to annular pressure buildup (APB) when the well system heats up as a result of production operations or the injection of hot fluids into the well.
Vacuum Insulated Tubing (VIT) modeling
In deep water, high temperature and high annular pressure can cause casing strings to burst or collapse. Operators use VIT to mitigate these risks. VIT temperature-flow modeling is used to model thermal flow and stress analysis of vacuum-insulated tubing within the WELLCAT application. VIT is used to mitigate the risks of annular pressure buildup, cold startups, and heavy-oil production when using the latest VIT systems.
In heavy-oil production scenarios, VIT helps maintain lower viscosity levels in steam flooding, "huff and puff," and steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) projects, reducing the need for artificial lift techniques and increasing total ultimate recovery.
Steam injection modeling
WellCAT software can model multiple steam circulation-injection scenarios in single tube circulation, including; circulation and reverse circulation, injection through tubing, injection down the tubing annulus, and simultaneous injection through both tubing and annulus. The modeling handles super-heated steam or saturated steam with a given quality. The technology uses the rigorous PVT model for steam and water developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
Well engineering integration
All the results and analysis performed in the WELLCAT software are stored in the Engineer’s Data Model™ (EDM™), the most widely used database for drilling and completions applications in the world. This data is available across the Landmark suite of drilling applications for other specific drilling, casing, or costing analysis.