LaserStrat® Wellsite Chemostratigraphy Service
The LaserStrat® service, provided by Sperry Drilling services in association with Chemostrat Ltd., is an innovative and dependable solution when precise wellbore positioning or formation evaluation cannot be accomplished by conventional methods, such as LWD or biostratigraphy. It provides "geochemical fingerprinting" in near real time at the wellsite, using a small portable laser spectrometer to rapidly measure the whole-rock chemistry of cuttings. Minimal sample preparation and no specialized laboratory support is required to run the service.
The self-contained desktop instrument enables chemostratigraphy to be applied at the wellsite and can yield rapid, real-time elemental analysis results within minutes of cutting samples reaching the surface.
LaserStrat service benefits:
- Enhanced stratigraphic control for precise wellbore placement
- Immediate correlation to offset wells
- Identification of missing or expanded sedimentary sequences
- Increased confidence in picking casing, coring and total depth points
- Chemosteering® service in horizontal and HT/HP wells where other steering methods are not successful
- Rapid mineralogy and lithology determinations from elemental data