MRIL®-XL Magnetic Resonance Imaging Logging Service
Directional total porosity, permeability, and hydrocarbon typing
Magnetic resonance measures key factors that influence a well’s ability to produce commercial quantities of oil or gas. Our MRIL®-XL service builds upon the highly successful MRIL technology to deliver the same high-quality NMR measurements in a larger borehole range.
Greater signal penetration, no effects from drilling mud
The MRIL-XL service uses an eccentered NMR tool to send a directional signal into the formation. The directional signal is sent only to that portion of the wellbore. The signal penetration into the formation is effectively increased, and it’s not affected by drilling mud. The signal is sent in an arc penetrating up to 4 in. into the formation. The depth of the investigation remains constant in both vertical and deviated wells.
Large boreholes, no problem
The most complex and demanding wells now include boreholes of 12¼ to 15 in. Our MRIL-XL service will log wells up to 16 in. in diameter. Even more impressive, the tool’s slim profile also enables logging in wellbores as small as 7⅞ in.
- Measure total fluid-filled porosity, unaffected by mineralogy
- Especially in mixed mineralogy reservoirs and organic shales
- Determine which fluids will or will not produce
- Identify low-resistivity contrast pay where there are high irreducible water volumes
- Integrate with wireline and LWD sensors to produce a complete reservoir assessment
- Access reservoir fluids with a full range of 2D and 3D answer products, including:
- Fluid contacts
- Fluid types
- Changes in oil viscosity
- Permeability estimation
- Pore-size classification