Active Magnetic Ranging
Active magnetic ranging (AMR) is used to reduce the uncertainty of wellbore position when surveys are not enough. AMR technology is comprised of two main components: the generation of a magnetic field and a method to detect that magnetic field.
Sperry Drilling's precise measurement of distance and direction between two or more wellbores with greater survey accuracy than conventional technologies provides an efficient, reliable means to optimize wellbore placement when access to the target well is acceptable.
- Allows for safe drilling when operating outside permissible anti-collision limits
- Accurate wellbore twinning helps increase production and maximize recovery in SAGD operations
- High accuracy relative positioning measurements are especially critical for well collision avoidance where the proximity of the wellbores to one another is crucial for maximum recovery
- Position wellbores within extremely tight tolerances, with a range distance of up to 80 meters, to help ensure the wells are drilled at the optimal distance apart or intersected without costly sidetracks
- Not affected by instrument uncertainties
- Gyro surveys not necessary
- Extremely adaptable
Access-Dependent Active Magnetic Ranging
Access-dependent active magnetic ranging services are used for the precise measurement of distance and direction between two or more wellbores, accomplished by using magnetic field sources of known strength and orientation.
Access-dependent active magnetic ranging systems ideally allow two or more wellbores to be positioned within extremely tight tolerances, such as:
- Drilling stacked horizontal well pairs for steam-assisted gravity design (SAGD)
- In-fill drilling and collision avoidance
- Wellbore intersections for well control or pipelines
- Observation well placement
- Coalbed methane degasification wells
Access-Independent Active Magnetic Ranging
When there is no access to the existing wellbore, Sperry Drilling's access-independent active magnetic ranging systems can help precisely position wellbores with no cumulative surveying error, allowing wellbores to be placed much closer together than is possible using surveys alone, greatly optimizing wellbore placement.
Sperry Drilling is the only provider of the industry's most accurate access-independent ranging technologies.
- Relief well drilling
- Collision avoidance
- Enhanced recovery techniques (TAGD, SAGD, CBM)
- Abandoned well identification and avoidance
- Complex plug and abandonment