Musol® E mutual solvent is used for matrix-acidizing operations in sandstone formations. It can also be used as a preflush or afterflush for HF acid treatments. Unlike other mutual solvents, Musol E mutual solvent does not contain ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (EGMBE) or a mixture of EGMBE and ethoxylated alcohol.
Musol E mutual solvent is effective at all bottomhole temperatures (BHTs). At temperatures below 200°F (93°C), normal inhibitor concentrations are sufficient for acid blends containing Musol E mutual solvent. At temperatures above 200°F (93°C), the necessary inhibitor concentration is 50% greater than that used in acid blends without Musol E mutual solvent.
Musol E mutual solvent exhibits nonemulsifying properties in some crude oils. It can be used in kerosene; diesel oil; light, clean crude oil; and aromatic solvents.
Because Musol E mutual solvent helps reduce surfactant adsorption onto the formation, it can provide the following benefits:
- Helps ensure that treating fluids remain compatible in the formation.
- Helps clean the formation and reduces water saturation around the wellbore, increasing the relative permeability of the formation adjacent to the wellbore.
- When used with anionic or nonionic surfactants, Musol E mutual solvent helps water-wet sandstone formations. It also helps reduce the oil-wetting effects of cationic surfactants.
- Helps reduce corrosion from return fluids.
- Helps disperse acid additives and slows the separation in the tank, providing more uniform treating fluids and improving the ability of the acid solution to mix well.