HR®-12 retarder is a mixture of HR®-4 retarder and an organic acid. It can be used to retard all API classes of cement as well as Pozmix® cement.
HR-12 retarder is effective in wells with bottomhole circulating temperatures (BHCTs) between 220°F and 340°F (104°C and 171°C). It can also withstand static temperatures up to 365°F (185°C).
HR-12 retarder is a strong cement dispersant. High concentrations of this product tend to decrease the effectiveness of cellulose-based fluid-loss additives, such as Diacel LWL™ additive, Halad®-22A fluid loss additive, and Halad®-24 fluid loss additive. Slurries containing HR-12 retarder and any of these agents usually require the addition of a suspension aid, such as FWCA™ additive or Suspend HT™ additive.
HR-12 retarder can provide the following benefits:
- Allows cement retardation at high temperatures.
- Low retarder concentrations are adequate for most jobs.
- Effective in conditions that are too severe for other retarders, such as HR-4, HR®-5, and HR®-7 cement retarders.
- Available in liquid or powder form. Because the liquid form, HR®-12L retarder, is a true aqueous solution, it will not cause settling problems.
- The Environmental Protection Agency does not list HR-12 retarder as a hazardous waste.