Thermatek® rigid setting fluids are an advancement in applied-science solutions for a wide range of problems encountered when drilling or producing fractured, unconsolidated or watered out formations. These fluids are the basis of Thermatek™ service that represents an ideal solution for plugging and abandonment operations.
Thermatek fluid is designed to remain as a low viscosity fluid during placement. It then sets rapidly at a given formation temperature. The transition from fluid state to solid state is almost immediate, resulting in essentially zero gas migration or channeling. This “right angle set” occurs because Thermatek fluid is an exothermic material. When the material enters the near wellbore area it starts to spread out into the formation matrix; however, the exothermic reaction is exponentially accelerated due to increased surface area and temperature transfer. This triggers the setting process and the Thermatek material “locks up” before penetrating into the formation.
Thermatek Service Key Features
- Predictable and controllable right angle set.
- Zero shrinkage helps provide gas-tight seal.
- Zero static gel helps achieve zero gas migration.
- Rapid build of compressive strength up to 11,000 psi.
- Easy to remove by drilling, milling, or acid.
- 100% acid soluble with 99% regained permeability.
- Used safely in producing formations with virtually no invasion damage.
- Tolerates up to 50% contamination.
- 4-5 micron median particle size.
- Easily mixed and pumped with conventional equipment and techniques.