Research and Development
Baroid aligns its efforts with the operator’s goal of reducing the cost of oil and gas produced, through providing reliable, cost-effective solutions, delivered by expert personnel. We believe our R&D efforts play a key role in supporting our customer’s success. Therefore, our commitment to continually develop and apply new technology that benefits our customers and distinguishes us from our competitors as a leader in fit-for-purpose solutions is one of our key company principles.
Baroid’s Headquarters in Houston is regarded as the Company’s principal Research and Development center. However, design work is also conducted in Aberdeen and has resulted in many successful and innovative products.
Design planning is completed in accordance with ISO9001:2000 requirements. The process involves the following principal steps:
- Identification of potential development projects by operations personnel
- Rationalization/Prioritization of projects by senior management
- Compilation of Product Design Plans
- Review and approval of proposed new products by senior management committees in Aberdeen and Houston.
Baroid has developed a number of new products, fluid systems and testing equipment capabilities to support the demands associated with changing well conditions, technology and field/well economics. Baroid has an active Research and Development group that is working on projects in a variety of areas in support of drilling and completions fluids business.
In addition, we have a number of projects that are run in collaboration with universities around the world. These universities have been selected based on their specific technical knowledge and world-class capabilities. Baroid’s R&D efforts support a number of technology areas relevant to land operations, fluids management, OBM developments, WBM developments, shale stabilization, engineering design, H2 S well drilling, wellbore monitoring/ stabilization, and environmental compliance.
- Provides innovative engineering solutions to support fluid design and implementation:
- Instruments that extend the capabilities of existing testing methods
- New methods/equipment patented and marketed worldwide
- Software for complex rheological and hydraulics models (DFG RT™ software)
- Designs and builds instrumentation to solve technical problems in the field or laboratory.
- Provides customers with the leading edge capabilities in well planning and real-time problem solving.