Quality assurance standards support our goal of ensuring that our internal and external customers receive the quality and on-time delivery needed for successful business and field operations. There are several “Quality” functions within Halliburton Fluid Systems and within Baroid Fluid Services, including ISO9000, API registration activities, Service Quality, Operations Support Lab Quality, and Global Quality Assurance.
The functions addressed below relate primarily to Operations Support Labs and Global Quality Laboratory in Houston. Several direct activities contribute to our Quality Assurance (QA) effort:
- The Product Review Committee (PRC) approves and deletes products. Once the Technology Department has approved the chemistry, formula maintenance and distribution is coordinated by Quality Assurance. Procedures and records are coordinated with the HSE (Health Safety and Environmental) department which reviews toxicity, regulatory compliance, transportation, and Export Compliance issues. When this process is complete, QA issues a draft formula and works with Product Champions to introduce the product.
- Procurement and Quality departments work together to maintain a list of approved suppliers for our trade named products along with the raw materials and selected commodity chemicals which are deemed to have a significant impact to the success of our operation.
- Ore samples for manufacturing operations are evaluated by Quality Assurance.
- Product Quality Complaints are evaluated through the Quality Department. The department employs approximately 250 different test procedures applicable to our trade named products and principle raw materials.
- The QA Laboratory, in conjunction with Technology Department personnel where applicable, evaluates and develops methods applicable for chemical and performance evaluation of our products.
- The manufacturing operations quality testing is monitored by the Global Quality Assurance team.
- Site Quality Surveys are conducted to augment the sample evaluations typically sent to Houston and to provide an additional site quality assay.
- Disposition including re-processing nonconforming product is a responsibility of the Quality Assurance Department.
- The QA Laboratory is responsible for Quality Testing training for Operations Laboratories.
- Certificates of Analysis and Certificates of Quality are generated by the Quality Assurance Laboratory out of the Houston office.
- Suppliers are directed by Procurement to send copies of certificates of analysis and samples to the Quality Assurance Department in Houston in addition to any that may be required by Procurement or Manufacturing personnel elsewhere. All trade-named products are included here along with the commodity chemicals such as salt and caustic soda and many others as agreed by stakeholder departments or customer requirements.